Thursday, April 20, 2006

Discussion post: What's in a title?

Funnily enough I got talking about this in the pub last night - what makes a good book title?

So far the feedback about Perfidy and Perfection as a title has been positive. Lots of people have asked me what perfidy means, which is great! Well, why not revive a bit of interest in a word that I like but isn't used that frequently today?

Originally, when I started the manuscript I gave it the working title of The Rake's Wager. It has a Regency rake in it, and a wager, so it was a reasonable working title, but was not going to be the final title, I knew that.

Later, after the manuscript was completed I'd come up with the title The Rake Who Tricked Me. I liked it enough to change my working title, but still it wasn't quite right.

It wasn't until very late in the day that it hit me that the book should be titled along the same lines as the books within the book written by Sophy Grantchester, the heroine who is a novelist at the time of Jane Austen. The book titles I gave her books are reminiscant of Jane Austen novels. I ended up on Perfidy and Perfection because of the perfidious actions of the hero and... well you'll see fully why if you read the book. :)

What book titles have grabbed you recently? And why?

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I really like this title. It's different and catchy. And your description of how it came to be is intriguing!

Congratulations on your release!!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the title Perfidy and Perfection for many reasons. One, because I am a Jane Austen addict so I can appreciate the reference to her books in Kate's title. Also, I think that it sounds historical if you know what I mean and makes a change from the usual Regency titles which are a bit too fond of using Rakes and Rogue in their titles!

Love,
Julie

4:04 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I really like this title! Sally MacKenzie's books The Naked Duke and The Naked Marquis have really grabbed my attention.

Congrats on your release!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Is or will Perfidy & Perfection be available in US?

1:36 PM  
Blogger Kate Allan said...

Yes, it's available in the US shortly. It's on amazon.com already available for pre-order.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Thanks!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather interesting blog you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Truly yours
Darek Wish

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home